Wednesday, September 28, 2011

choosing a contractor

Just like HGTV says we should, we asked around, got references, checked the work of a series of contractors. And, completely unlike HGTV, we discovered that a HUGE part of choosing a contractor is availability. We waited for our first choice to be available for months before he admitted that his current job was going long, and the next big job started too soon to leave any space for our little job. Only in this neighbourhood is 80 grand considered a little renovation. I should have known after I he told me one of his jobs was featured in a local magazine.

I never read this magazine. In fact, I have been known to over-zealously chuck said magazine into the recycling bin. Sometimes, I take perverse joy in using it as a fire starter: page by page. It's byline is "Life at its Finest," but it needs to be renamed; I just haven't come up with anything clever yet. So far, my best are "Stuff You Can't Afford" or "We Got It; You Can't" or "If it's in this Magazine, you Can't Afford It." I once called a concrete company advertised in this magazine. When the fellow on the other end heard what I needed, he responded, "Oh, we don't do cheap stuff." Only he didn't say stuff.

So, onto the next candidate. Not available for one year. Next candidate, not available until next year. Next candidate, not available. Next candidate, available this fall!!! OMG. Book him! HGTV be damned!

No comments:

Post a Comment