Thursday, June 28, 2012

The "God, this takes forever" phase, Part III: Return of the Hood Fan

I hate hood fans. People on HGTV are never "oh, is that only in a 600 to 1200 cfm model? Well, that's just not going to work, is it?" No. On HGTV, it's all "oooo, I love the granite countertops. And everything is so open! And look at the view! But the pool is small. And gosh, only one walk in closet."

I need to reiterate at this point that watching HGTV has much much drinking game potential.

Back to the hood fan. There are three styles of hood fan (okay, there are the big-ass fancy ones for homes with giant islands, but I think we can safely ignore them for the moment): the chimney-style, wherein a person walks in a small kitchen and says, "your hood fan is gorgeous! and what a nice kitchen too." Then there is the under-the-counter style - the most common, where the duct goes up through a cupboard that holds oils or cookbooks or some such. Finally, there is an insert-style which is a little on the fancy side and requires millwork.

We started with a chimney-style hood fan. My "kitchen guy" looked mildly disgusted when I told him what I had ordered as it wouldn't "fit with the feel of the room." We're apparently going for a 1940s look...without all the bright red, green, or pink cupboards, gingham curtains, and giant white appliances. That is, a 1940s "inspired" look.Or something. All I know is that the kitchen guy does nice work and I have no flipping idea about things like hood fans. So, I said, "No problem, the appliance guy said that he'd call us before he sent our order to confirm the hood fan style." Which he hadn't done, as it turned out. But we were able to talk our way into paying more (wait, is that a good thing?) for an insert style hood fan and blower. Hooray?!

Two weeks later, the kitchen guy looks at the specs for the hood fan and says, "You do realize that this is a 36" wide hood fan and you have a 30" wide stove?"To which I said, "what?" because I love looking like an idiot - which is a good thing because I so often do. Another little thing you never see on HGTV: homeowners looking confused. Homeowners looking baffled. Homeowners looking murderous.

My kitchen guy was gentle, "Don't worry. We'll just hang hockey helmets on either side of the hood fan. No problem." To his credit, he took the appliance store to task because he sends a lot of folks their way and they should have caught the error. And his tirade was effective...I just bought an under counter hood fan at another store. Anyone need an expensive 36" insert-style hood fan???

Did I mention I hate hood fans?

No comments:

Post a Comment