Thursday, June 28, 2012

Fridge and stove arrive, but don't get excited

They never talk about appliances on HGTV. Other than colour. Ours are stainless steel, if that matters to you. And they are here. But not hooked up. Actually, they came before the floor in the kitchen because the fridge doors can't open. The kitchen guy did some measurements and pointed out that the door will hit the glass door when fully opened. Oops.

Look! A new floor!
Actually, the oops is that I knew that. I didn't like the initial design for that exact reason and had it changed. Then I got all excited about having a closet space for my gardening jacket and shoes (hey, my life rocks, what can i say). Then when we tested out the overall space by putting chalk marks on the floor and bringing the table and chairs in, we realized that there really wasn't much room if we added 18 inches for a closet. Plus, the closet would be really deep for a coat and shoes. So, we decided not to bother. I bet you've forgotten about the fridge door too, haven't you? See? Easy to do.

Long story short, the fridge came in, we did a bunch of test door openings and now I have my closet back!

The stove and fridge were to arrive between 12 and 2. I was walking Max, and got back at 12:15. Oops again. A note on the door said, "We can't fit the appliances through any of your doors. Have a nice day!" I'm not kidding. Turns out they were right.

So to recap the series of unfortunate events: I missed a design goof-up which required the fridge and stove to arrive before the back stairs were built and they wouldn't fit through any of the other doors. Sooo, they delivered them into my garage, then I paid $500 on top of the delivery charge to have four contractors move some temporary stairs around to the kitchen, then hoist the appliances up and into the kitchen. Yay me! My small consolation is that the stairs would have had to move at some point anyway.

In the meantime, my cabinets sit at the kitchen guy's shop, half built, waiting for the final measurements and the specs for the new f@!#ing hood fan. And we wash dishes in the laundry tub, cook in the basement, and eat out...

No comments:

Post a Comment